Thursday, April 14, 2011

You're never too old to learn fractions


Well this past week and a half has been busy to say the least! Lesson planning and more lesson planning: ) I have been teaching the entire day for awhile now and I really love it! Don’t get me wrong, it is very tiring and frustrating at times but it is also extremely rewarding. This week I also faced one of my biggest fears…fractions. If anyone knows me, they probably know about my complete hatred for anything involving math. It was a struggle as a kid and even into college. When I found out I was teaching in third grade I immediately thought “what do they do in math in third grade? Will I even be able to teach it to them?” As silly as it sounds I worried that I would somehow teach them wrong and make them live a life in constant confusion over how to add 1/4th + 1/4th. When I found out I was indeed going to be teaching on fractions I got busy brainstorming and looking up creative and new ideas on how to make it fun and easy to understand. Do you know what I discovered?? I actually LIKE fractions! (at least third grade fractions) yeah I almost fainted when I came to the realization myself! I had so much fun teaching them how to turn M&Ms, graham crackers and cookies into fractions. (I mean food makes everything fun, right?) It was exciting because they really enjoyed it and even asked if they could learn more the next day. Praise the Lord! I am learning that as a teacher, I often feel as though I learn even more than the kids everyday…even fractions. : ) I also taught them on outer space this week in science. We learned about the planets (and yes I did count Pluto as one of them…I couldn’t bear to leave him out, and it messes up the whole rhyme when you do…) and the sun. Last summer I watched a video series by Louie Giglio called How Great Is Our God , if you haven’t seen it go get right now! This seriously brought me tears at some parts and made me gasp out loud at others. It’s all about how absolutely enormous, complex and intricate our universe is. It shows our sun in comparison to other stars in the Universe such as Arcturus, Betelgeuse, and Antares which makes it look minuscule. As they kids watched each of the stars get bigger and bigger and our sun seem to get smaller and smaller their mouths gaped open and various “WOAH’s” could be heard around the classroom. I asked how they felt after learning how big the universe really is and I got the replies of “small, tiny, unimportant”. We were then able to talk about how even though we are so small, God loves us so much that he knows every hair on our head! He loves us so much that he even collects our tears in a jar! God loves us so much that He sent his only son to die for us! I loved hearing their thoughts and fears and questions and discussing them together. Children have the greatest questions and are so honest. Having meaningful conversations such as this always turns out to be a blessing. It was a wonderful reminder to me of how small I am. I need that reminder often. I am insignificant and the universe does not revolve around me. Yet God loves me with a love I will never be able to comprehend. He cares when I am discouraged or when I am happy or when I am worried about fractions. The universe is bigger than I can comprehend, and God holds the Universe in his hands. There is no where safer than in God’s hands.

Isaiah 40:12-14 Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand
and marked off the heavens with a span,
enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure
and weighed the mountains in scales
and the hills in a balance?
Who has measured the Spirit of the LORD,
or what man shows him his counsel?
Whom did he consult,
and who made him understand?
Who taught him the path of justice,
and taught him knowledge,
and showed him the way of understanding?

This next week is Semana Santa or Holy week, so that means NO SCHOOL! I am very excited for this much needed break and we are going to spend it hitting up the beach! The other student teachers and I are going to take an overnight bus to the Caribbean side of Panama and spend a few days soaking up the sun! God allowed us to find a cheap bus ticket and place to stay (even if it is a hostel) and we are super excited! So adios until next time : )

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you Danielle. Loved reading your blog this morning. Have a relaxing time away with your friends! I love you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle I loved the blog as usual and I am very proud of you!! have fun at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle, God is using you in an amazing way. This is almost as much mission trip as it is student teaching! Thanks for your delightful updates. Enjoy your days off...

    ReplyDelete